As an has-been newbie to WordPress I know what it means to be one and be stuck there for a long time. Very long indeed.
Still I know I haven’t completely left that zone and will be flirting with it for life because the truth of the matter is, one never stops learning in life.
So today, I’d like us to take a look on what it really means to be a newbie on WordPress and the simple start-up steps to getting out of that zone alive.
Who is a newbie?
Well, anyone reading this post now is surely a newbie because of the curiosity and urge that my title has driven in you so much so that you’ve ventured yourself here to read this post.
A newbie is someone who has just taken the step into the world of blogging; to express themselves, change the world or simply follow the trends.
No matter who you are, you can launch yourself into this adventure, be a newbie a day and become experts by night.
How to be a good newbie?
Curious to be.Curious to learn, curious to experience, longing to see your likes and comments sky-rocket as well as your stats excalading.
Going around and introducing yourself to strangers, leaving links to your blog in hopes of positive feedbacks. Reading alot and commenting loads.
Hope. Hope is a newbie. Faith is newbie. Perseverance is newbie.
That’s how a true newbie should be ✌.
How to survive being a newbie?
Research. Lots. Blogging is a continuous learning process, which takes lots of love, time and effort. It takes a strong will power that is fueled uniquely by the love for what you do. Your pride and honour for all the efforts, time and energy spent on it.
My research tool is Google. The advantage of this tool is it’s cheap, fast and precise (especially if you are very precise on what you are looking for). It might be very surprising but YouTube is full of videos on operating with WordPress and blogging foundamentals. Just be curious and willing enough to look for them.
WordPress offers awesome university courses on everything useful one would like to know and be using WordPress as a website or blog. From basis in poetry to photography, blogging for fun and blogging for a living. This the best place to start. Try daily word prompts and weekly photo challenges. They will eventually help you get the grips on things.
5 simple steps if you want to make it out alive and kicking out of the newbie zone.
Here are the first things you should learn as you move on in your blogging adventures;
- Starting a blog. Seems silly said like that but it’s the most important step to be made in this journey through the blogosphere.
- Keeping it safe. Through strong passwords and keeping personal information- personal
- Familiarising yourself with your dashboard. Take time to know everything about its functionalities because this will be your second home.
- Customising your theme, background colours and widgets. Making your blog yours and search engine friendly. Meaning easy to load, nice to see on screens worldwide. A perfect theme of your choice, background colours, a site name with a catchy tagline and a logo,if necessary. Widgets and menus make up the beauty of your home–your blog.
- Publishing. Writing a post and publishing, editing and updating. Go over your posts and looking back on spelling errors and ponctuation. Post are preferred short and simply written. Readers wouldn’t like to spend hours on your post. Using upper class grammar is good but if the message isn’t clear, it’s of no use. Add a link to an online dictionary in that case.That’s what makes up a good post. Never neglect your about pages. Perfectly introduce yourself and the rest will follow. It’s advisable to make it available to all through Google translate, though it isn’t the best tool ever but it does its best.
With that said, I hope I could be of help. Please do feel free to leave a thought on your way out.
Thanks for reading 😘😁